Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Classic Nick Wed. 11– At Last, Children’s Programming That’s Fit For Children


This week I’m posting an article I from the Toedo Blade from February 21, 1980.

At Last, Children’s Programming That’s Fit For Children

Toedo Blade – Feb. 21, 1980



The debate about what kids watch on TV continues. Certainly everyone is concerned about it. And experts on both sides of the issue will, undoubtedly, continue to juggle their ways through research studies and case findings to arrive at their respective conclusions. But that still leaves the kids caught in the middle.

          That is, until now.

          We, at the CableSystem, are proud to announce that the void in solid children’s television has been filled.

          The CableSystem is now offering a selection of 10-11 hours of daily, Nickelodeon. Children’s programming experts convinced us that the best way to get kids away from the violence and commercials they’re constantly subjected to on regular TV is by offering them something they like better.

          They’ll like Nickelodeon better.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
PINWHEEL
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 

10:00 - 3:00 weekdays
9:00 - 2:00 weekends

          Pinwheel is the nationally acclaimed creation of a talented group of professionals including veterans of the Children’s Television Workshop. Specially tailored to the interests and attention span of the preschooler, each Pinwheel segment averages about three minutes. Blended into the format are award wining animated films as well as live action films.





-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
VIDEO COMIC BOOKS
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 

3:00/4:30 weekdays
3:00/4:00/ 6:30 weekends

          The half-hour Video Comic Books show is a unique reading experience for children. Starring favorite super heroes like Green Lantern and Space Ranger, this show is devoted to paging through comic books panel by panel. The visuals with printed captions are arranged for easy reading and viewing. Voice-overs and sound effects are used with the exception of one comic adventure per show during which the children are compelled to read the dialogue for themselves.





-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
CHILDREN’S CLASSICS
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
7:00-7:30 weekdays
2:30-4:00 weekends

          Children’s Classics are high-quality presentations from the British Broadcasting Company. With universal appeal to children of all ages. BBC Children’s Classics include such timeless tales as “The Prince and the Pauper,” Robin Hood,” “Heidi,” and “David Copperfield.”




-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
AMERICA GOES BANANAZ
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
6:00-7:00 weekdays

          America goes Bananaz is a teen variety show offering a multitude of happenings molded to meet the needs of the American adolescent. In addition to being an entertaining talent showcase for young artists, it also provides a great information service providing a stimulating array of





-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
HOCUS FOCUS
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
3: 30/7:30 weekdays
5:30-6:30 weekends

          Seven to twelve year olds explore the world around them through the eyes of the host character Kryspen, a medieval time traveler who comes to learn about life in the 20th Century.
         


-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
FIRST ROW FEATURES
-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  - 
5:00-6:00 weekdays
4:30/7:00 weekends

          First Row Features are special one hours children’s films broadly ranging from comedies and adventures to dramas and semi-documentaries.




AT LAST.
          Now, you can breath your sigh of relief. Worry no more about what the kids are home watching.

          There’s loads of healthy, educational commercial-free viewing enjoyment for your kids on Nickelodeon. And it’s available at no additional charge to our regular subscribers. The usual monthly charge of $7.50 (plus installation) gets your kids Nickelodeon and your get all the great entertainment variety the CableSystem offers you.

          See for yourself. Call 535-0081



Article Picture Link Provided by Chris 

Article Picture Link – http://i.imgur.com/oHMOU.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see you've noticed the article!

    Buckeye Cablesystem first offered Nickelodeon way back on Christmas Day of 1979!
    http://vintagetoledotv.squarespace.com/holiday-ads/single-gallery/12524738
    http://vintagetoledotv.squarespace.com/holiday-ads/single-gallery/12524739

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see that I've noticed it? Do you work for this newspaper?

      I actually found this article a while back and I had to retype it b/c I wasn't able to print it out, I didn't even get to save the picture that went with it so that I could post it to this blog. The reason I posted it was b/c I’m an administrator for a group on F/B called “Your Childhood Memories Begin With Sharing” and on Wednesdays I post my “Classic Nickelodeon Wednesday” articles. Most of them I research and write myself but sometimes I’m tired and I post articles I've found online which was the case this week.

      So what all can you tell me about the history of Nickelodeon that I haven’t found in my general research? Are there any more articles like this that I’m unaware of? Do you know if any of this vintage footage is available on video? Since I’m an advocate for Classic Nickelodeon I’m interested in finding out everything I can about this network and passing that information on to my many online groups.

      Thank you for your time.

      Delete
    2. I have a screengrab tool on my browser and have captured the ad anyway. No, I do not work for the newspaper (I would've been 2 when that was happening anyway), though I was a paperboy for them in the 90's.

      I've known of your pages for a long time anyway and am on Facebook as well.

      Here's that ad by the way...
      http://i.imgur.com/oHMOU.jpg

      Again, I just noticed since I read my blogger feed daily.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the link Chris! I had wanted to save it before but as I said I was unable to.

      Yes I figured out who you were just after I asked you just after I posted back to you. :)

      Delete